Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Music For An Apocalpse

 

For my podcast I focused on music that revolved around apocalyptic ideas and themes. I highlighted a few different ways that sound artist portray post apocalyptic scenarios within their work. The first artist work that I explored was Godspeed You Black Emperor! I showed how they used found sound splices and narration to express an end of the world event. I also showcased Carla Bozulich and her band Evangelista. Bozulich in her album Evangelista creates a personal apocalypse where her beautiful voice carries over moaning strings and sounds of confusion and dismay. I then transitioned to a completely different way of displaying apocalyptic themes. Murder by Death is a band that tells stories through their music which is rich with an Americana sound. I related this to how a wild west setting is often used as the back drop for a these types of dooms day events. The Murder by Death album Who Will Survive and What Will is about a small town in Mexico getting wiped out by the Devil, I showcased a sample of a song of this album. There are many ways to express a post apocalyptic world and in my podcast I highlighted a few that really stood out to me.

Music For An Apocalpse

No comments: